Saturday, September 4, 2010

An amazing welcome back!

September 4, 2010
15:00 (Hawaii time)
Kahului, Maui, Hawaii

I'm back in Hawaii! I'm also apparently back to my blog. Although I'm sure nobody cares, I'm sorry I haven't written anything during the last few months. I was going to write a 'European finale' entry that detailed everything about how my trip in Europe ended, what all happened, and my slow recovery from my back injury. I wrote a good chunk of that entry, but I never really finished it. Plus, I was in pain and depressed a decent amount of the time. So the entry wasn't exactly 'positive'. Writing anger can be therapeutic, I've found, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to vent my troubles to the world. I'm usually a pretty happy person, or at the very least a generally contented person, so writing an overly depressing/angry thingy and posting it for all the world to see would be very non-Nomadic-Vagabond-esque. I'm much happier now, my back is probably at 98%, I'm back in the beautiful state of Hawaii, my brother's wedding is over (I had to give a speech during the ceremony and a toast during the reception--I was happy and proud to do it, but public speaking is difficult for me, and generally makes me nervous, so I'm glad it's over). Just about everything that was causing me pain, stress, and discomfort is done with. And now I'm back in Hawaii! Yay!

The day I got back was great too. My good friends James and Michelle picked me up from the airport, helped me get my van back and running, let me crash at their place that night while I got my living arrangements squared away, and then I got to watch James "Kimo" Nevius perform original songs at open mic night at the Moana Cafe in Paia. Below is a video of James performing one of his songs.



James also did a duet with an 8 year old who went by Untilted (yes, Untilted, not Untitled--notice the difference? The kid's real name is Jaxon, but I think he's still working out a stage name. Personally I like Untilted)--a very appropriate song, to be sure.



So that was my first day back! I've now been back for a few days, and things are falling back into place nicely. Yesterday I jogged almost five miles, hung out with James and Michelle on the beach and swam in the ocean. We also listened to a Dutch Holocaust survivor speak at the Kihei Public Library, then in the evening checked out First Friday in Wailuku. Yesterday was a very fun day. This morning I spent more than three hours at the gym--I got there at 9am and wanted to take a spin class that didn't start until 11, so I spent two hours working out my arms then finished the work out with an hour long sweat-filled spin class. I've never deserved a five dollar footlong more.

I don't know what I'm going to do this afternoon/evening, but I've finished just about everything I had on my list of things to do once I got back here--I only have a couple of things left to do--and one of those things is to repossess that Camaro convertible that the guy never finished paying off. I've never repossessed a car before, so I don't really know how. I'm going to go talk to the police to see if there's anything special I need to do--and maybe they can assist. To be honest, I don't even know where the car is. Maui's not a big island, so I bet I could find it, but still.

I heard on the radio the other day that this weekend is the grand opening of Maui's first and only water park. I do love water parks, and this one supposedly has slides that drop you right into the ocean. I may go check that out tomorrow. Tomorrow is also another jogging and abs day for me, so I definitely have to do that at some point. I really enjoyed the three mile path James, Michelle and I ran on yesterday in Wailea so maybe I'll go run that again. Plus, the water park is supposedly just south of Makena, so maybe if I go running on that path in the morning I'll be able to go straight from there to the water park. Well, tomorrow sounds like a fun day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment