Thursday, June 3, 2010

A very boring entry

June 3, 2010
11:22
Plakias, Crete, Greece

Indeed, this is probably going to be a very boring entry because since my adventure to Preveli I haven't done a darn thing. I definitely felt like I set back my recovery during the days after Preveli, but in about two or three days I was back to where I was before Preveli, so I don't think I did any additional lasting damage. At least, I'm hoping.

So all I've done since that adventure is stick around the hostel and try to continue my recovery. I think I'm improving, but it's just really hard to say. Some days are better than others, and it's hard for me to figure out why.

I spoke to my childhood best friend's dad (and my former pediatrician) about my back, because I was having difficulty finding any doctors around here that spoke good enough English for me to feel comfortable getting the answers I wanted. I also trust Dr. Rees completely, and it was a real relief to get his opinion. I feel just awful using a friendship like that to ask for medical advice--I imagine doctors get it all the time and I really do feel bad. But I'll send him some Greek olive oil as a thank you. Anyway, he said I should really take the pressure off my back as much as possible--despite the fact that I'm in Greece and want to go do and see stuff, I should spend as much time in a supine position as possible. So that's what I've done, literally, for the last two days. I laid in bed. I've spent a lot of that time sleeping. Some watching tv. But it's been probably the least interesting thing to do in Greece. It's also what I'm going to go back to doing after I get done eating breakfast and writing this blog entry. Well, I may take a shower first. It's been a couple of days now, and a shower sounds lovely.

Oh, also, Dr. Rees recommended I try to make a reverse-incline (wouldn't that just be a 'decline'?) bed-type-thingy that I could lay on upside down and strap my ankles to the top so I don't slide down. He said I should lay on this for 20 minutes three times a day and it will help relieve the pressure off my hernia. So I managed to get a couple of four foot boards, a couple of chairs, a mat, and a strap, and made myself this contraption:



Below are self portraits of me on the contraption:



1 comment:

  1. I agree; a very boring entry. Sorry that you do not feel good and cannot get out and see Greece. Does the decline position feel good because it looks tremendously uncomfortable. Hope things get at least a little better and you can head out an about. See ya! -Ben

    ReplyDelete